Numerama is in Las Vegas for CES 2023, the largest annual event dedicated to high-tech. If CES is above all a place of presentation for big brands and a way for startups to distinguish themselves, it is also a heavy trend indicator.
Who will be the big winner at CES 2023? The metaverse, the connected home, artificial intelligence or augmented reality? A few hours before the official opening of the biggest show dedicated to new technologies on the planet, no one knows yet whether a topic will succeed in establishing itself as the trendiest in 2023, or whether this edition will not succeed in making an impression . .
After several years of covid-19, CES should return to its splendor on January 5, 2023, although many manufacturers are organizing events on the 3rd and 4th. For the duration of the show, Numerama will be in Las Vegas to make you experience the living room while you’re there. Our goal is to identify trends, understand them and show you the fun little new things, the ones we’re not used to seeing elsewhere. Our colleagues from Fandroid, who are on the site, will also tell you about the new products announced.
The connected home, our favorite for 2023
At the end of CES 2023, Numerama will offer you a review of the Las Vegas show (perhaps two, one of successes, one of flops). In the meantime, it is possible to make preliminary predictions on the year’s announcements. Many words are on everyone’s lips, but all of them are unlikely to succeed in agreeing with everyone.
- The connected home we think we’re on track to win it all at CES 2023. Why? Because the launch of the Matter standard at the end of 2022 has the potential to change everything in this sector known for its complexity. Home automation, a niche topic a few months ago, is now universal. Any device can control anything, which opens the door to many scenarios. Our guess is that a lot of Matter stuff will be announced at CES, by big brands and small.
- Virtual, mixed and augmented reality It could be at the heart of discussions at CES, as the entire sector awaits Apple’s arrival in the coming months. If Meta has already announced its headset, the Quest Pro (our Numerama test is coming soon), we know that brands like HTC are preparing to unveil mixed reality products. It remains to be seen if VR will remain an epiphenomenon in 2023, or if it will really be everywhere this year.
- artificial intelligence make a lot of noise at the end of 2022 thanks to ChatGPT, OpenAI’s amazing chatbot. Many analysts say that AI will explode in 2023 thanks to many launches. Will CES reveal this phenomenon? AI is possible, though not always easy to demonstrate.
- Unlikely innovations is also expected, like every year at CES. In addition to screens that can bend and roll or really silly health sensors (we’ll talk about that later), one of the attractions at CES 2023 is Displace, a brand that claims to have invented wireless TV.
- The metaverse also on everyone’s lips. After a very strong start in 2022, will the virtual world some are dreaming of still be interesting in 2023?
CES, the show for everything and anything
Finally, beyond the trends, Numerama will also present all the oddities it can find in the aisles of the show. CES is famous for its fun gadgets, why not? Of course, the screens will also be in the spotlight. For several years, CES has been the place where major brands announce their new televisions. We should also encounter some automotive innovations.
From Las Vegas and Paris, Numerama will offer you some articles and some videos on CES 2023. We will also give you an appointment on social networks (TwitterInstagram, TikTok and Facebook) to explore the aisles of the show live and ask us questions.